Air traffic service is generic term meaning variously, Flight Information Service, Alerting Service, and Air Traffic Advisory Service, Air Traffic Control Service (Area Control Service, Approach Control Service or Aerodrome Control Service.)
The objectives of air traffic services are to:
- Prevent collisions between aircraft;
- Prevent collisions between aircraft on the maneuvering area and obstructions on that area;
- Expedite and maintain an orderly flow of air traffic;
- Provide advice and information useful for the safe and efficient conduct of flights;
- Notify appropriate authorities/organizations regarding aircraft in need of search and rescue under the control of an air traffic control unit.