Who needs to apply?
A pilot who has a foreign pilots’ license and wishes to fly in Kenya on a long term basis.
You must hold:
- A current and valid foreign license (including a radio license).
- A valid, relevant medical certificate from a Kenyan designated medical examiner.
- Any class or type ratings you intend to fly with this conversion must also be current and valid.
- Proof of the English language proficiency
- Results' slip of a passed composite conversion exam for the license being applied for.
- The required flying experience as substantiated by the pilot's flying logbook
- The applicable aeronautical experience requirements for each license sought.
- For a Commercial Pilot License or Airline Transport Pilot License or Multi-crew Pilot License you shall not be eligible for grant of a license unless there is included in the license an aircraft type rating for either pilot-in- command or co-pilot respectively.
- An Instrument Rating for CPL (depending on the type to be endorsed on the license) and ATPL.
Kindly refer to the relevant sections of AIC on KCAA charges
The Authority may issue a validation certificate which shall be valid for one year, provided the foreign license, ratings and the medical certificate remain valid.
What else do I need to know?
- Any limitations on the foreign license will apply as appropriate;
- Please read Order on Validation and conversion of foreign licenses for more information (link).
What do I need to include with my application?
- Application Forms for the license sought i.e.
- PPL Forms;
- CPL Forms;
- ATPL Forms;
- Flight Engineer Application Forms
- Summary Form
- Application form for English Language Proficiency endorsement
- Application form for Flight Radio Telephony Operators’ License.
- Copy of the foreign license and relevant Kenyan medical certificate
- Logbook and copies of its last two pages for the licensing file.
- Certified copy of ID or passport.
- Submit four photographs - full face (2cm by 2.5cm);
- Letter of verification from the issuing authority of the pilot’s license (PEL will contact the issuing authority to get this)
- Logbook evidence, which must be sent either as: original logbooks (preferred), and copies of your logbook pages
- An English translation of the foreign license if it is in the foreign language translation; certified by a sworn translator and both must be signed by an official or representative of the foreign authority that issued the license.
How to apply
Visit the PEL office to an eligibility check, before being allowed to book and sit the composite conversion exam.